Thursday, February 4, 2010

today's gratitude


I am so excited and grateful today to have this artwork added to my beloved yoga mat. A local artist, Radha, recently traveled to India where she observed women performing an ancient pracice of creating art out of wet drippy sand on the shore, only to have it washed away by the tide. Mothers have evidently been passing these ritualized sand drawings down to their daughters for ages, and Radha decided to capture the images and make stencils from them. She stenciled a set onto my yoga mat, one round design to represent each of the seven chakra. I just took it home, stood on the base chakra and performed some basic asanas; I can already sense how this artwork will deepen my practice, my awareness. Just from my first two minutes of exploration, I observed how these beautiful ancient designs align with the corresponding part of my body as I hover, stretch and otherwise move myself through the space just above my mat. Let me know if I can get your mat to Radha; she prints a unique set of stencils on each mat, either in all white or in the seven colors of the rainbow. ($15/$25 plus shipping and handling ;))

1 comment:

  1. more than beautiful. may you have many bliss filled asanas on your mat of energy. much love!

    ReplyDelete