Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A new (snow) day

Yesterday, I was too busy to blog, to identify my gratitude, and I believe my entire day suffered as a result. That is, I suffered. Reader, I was crabby.

Paul believes this is because I did not need another snow day, another workout that consisted of shoveling our driveway (with help from Max and Isaac), another grief counseling session for Isaac when Sam abandoned him for three and half hours to play at a friend's house, another batch of cookies fresh from the oven (which I refuse to eat because it is February and I am finally exerting some will power), another load of laundry, another pile of dishes, another day without leaving our home.

This may all be true, but I really think my attitude did not adjust to sunny because I did not sit down and listen to my inner voice, find my anchor to all that is good.

There were many good things in my day, but I did not give them proper attention.

My children were all home and healthy. All the appliances are working properly, helping me keep everyone fed and clothed. I got to drink good coffee, write a proposal for a decorative painting job, practice beautiful orchestral music, talk to my niece and three friends on the phone, work on a beautiful pair of fancynancypants (spring fever pants, for MYSELF!), make and eat some amazing guacamole, watch some gorgeous figure skating, hold amazing conversations with each of my children, and answer appreciative emails about my last blog (Truth and Love). It was a pretty terrific day, yet I was, somehow, a bit too focused on the negative.

Then I fielded a phone call from the school superintendant, announcing yet another snow day.

But it's okay. I feel terrific this morning. The crabbies have been banished. Paul greeted me this morning with a wonderfully conscious hug and kiss. Max's girlfriend is coming over so that she and Max can watch the boys, so that I CAN leave the house for a little while. I will buy groceries, come back home, and try to do some yoga before anyone notices that I have returned. Then, depending on how the roads are, I may take everyone to the movies. I will finish sewing my fabulous new pants, put them on and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment