Wednesday, January 6, 2010

yoga clothes

I'm listening to Deva Premal, as I stand here, which means I did not do my full twenty minutes of yoga wake up. I did just eleven minutes and it was ridiculous.

My excuse? Well, I woke up from a really bad dream this morning when Max walked into the kitchen. Thanks, Max. Because if you hadn't woken me, I was going to have to find the police, admit that I was driving interstate without a license when I caused the tractor trailer behind me to jacknife by weaving erratically while gabbing on my iPhone, and also explain that I had lost track of my kids somewhere in this huge office building with the museum-sized elevators while needing to get a CAT scan or some other scary diagnostic test.

So, because of that dream I did not bother putting on yoga clothes when I got up. I saw Max out the door to school, took two ibuprofen gel caps with a sip of coffee & Ovaltine, and unrolled my yoga mat in the living room, telling myself it would be okay, just this once, to do yoga in my flannel pajamas. Rather than go back into my room and risk waking Paul just to change clothes, because I'm just so considerate, um, lazy, sometimes.

Anyway, the point of this is to help you. So, here is my PSA: do not attempt yoga in flannel pajamas! If you are somehow ABLE to do yoga while so attired, you will be way too warm within five minutes. But seriously, those yoga clothes are form- fitting, stretchy and supportive for a REASON, people! For example, the view during downward dog in yoga clothes should be of your hands; concentrate on spreading your fingers wide on the mat, feel the equal weight distribution between feet and hands. The view during downward dog in loose flannel pajamas - well, it's not pretty, folks. Not at my age, anyway. I think the cat may have been smirking at me.

And honestly, Paul can sleep through just about anything at this hour of the morning.

Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment