Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Welcome, honored reader

Dear Reader,

Thanks so much for stopping by; I'm honored that you did. I know there are lot of choices of reading material clamoring for your attention out there. On your iPhone or Blackberry, your kindle or Nook, on twitter, on facebook...it's a bit overwhelming, isn't it? But you peeked over here for some reason, and I appreciate it. I hope you'll come back again soon.

So, why did I start this blog today? Beside the fact that it's the kids' second day back at school and the start of a whole new decade...

Well, very simply, I love to share my thoughts in writing, especially when you let me know that my words have touched you, helped you look at something from a different angle, or simply made you feel less alone. A few of you, who have typed reactions to my notes on Facebook, or better yet, come up to me and told me in person how my writing affected you, have inspired me to write to a broader audience. You cannot imagine how good it feels to me to know that I made a difference in your life just by sharing a little part of mine.

People comment all the time on my startling honesty, often calling it courage. It's funny, but it just really doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe I was born without a filter that many people have, but I naturally share from my heart and wouldn't know how to do otherwise. It takes too much effort to spin something or sugar coat it, and besides, I don't what the point of that would be. I know I'm a good person, and now that I'm past adolescence, I realize that if something happens to me, then chances are it has also happened to someone else. If something upsets or hurts me, makes me laugh or ticks me off, I know by now that some of you have been similarly affected.

So, I'm calling my blog Unburied Treasure just because it is the first thing that popped into my head, and not only do I like to believe in divine inspiration, but I'm also way too impatient to sit around brainstorming or holding focus groups about what it should be called. But now that I think about it, I like the name because it speaks to not hiding who I am or what I've been through or how I feel about it. Because who we are, and the life we live, really is the greatest treasure I can think of. All this stuff we go through every day seems somehow better when you share it. And whether it's by extending your giggle fit, or comforting you in your darkest hour, if my words have that power, I want to use it. So come back, and I promise to have something of value and substance soon. Because as long as life keeps happening to me, I'm sure to have something to say about it.

love,

Nancy

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! Warning: It can become addicting.

    ReplyDelete