Friday, January 15, 2010

was Jesus PC?

There is a certain billboard that those of us driving toward downtown Cincinnati see on our way. I wish I could photograph it, but I do not know anyone with a helicopter and it seems unwise to stop for a moment on the interstate and stick my Iphone out the window. So, I'll ask you to trust me that the billboard reads:

I miss hearing you wish each other "Merry Christmas".
-Jesus

Now, I posted my observation as my Facebook status this morning and realized from the response that a few people do not understand the intent of this billboard. Possibly because it takes on another meaning altogether in January, and for that case alone, it should be removed promptly.

Jesus is not to be thought of as waxing nostalgic for last December. Rather, he (or He) is waxing nostalgic for those holiday seasons of yesteryear, before shopkeepers, teachers and passersby conspired to replace "Merry Christmas" with "Happy Holidays".

To be honest, plenty of people still wish me Merry Christmas each December, and I say it right back to them. It is something I call being polite. If they do not know it already, especially if they do not even know my name and are just trying to be friendly, why do they need to know that I don't celebrate Christmas? I realize that they are Christian, a bit narrow in their views, perhaps, but I do not interpret the greeting as hostile to my beliefs and I do not feel disrespected by being greeted this way.

But I digress. The issue at hand is this: would Jesus mind that so many of his followers have become politically correct (PC), adopting a less Christian greeting for their December social encounters?

Now I am not a Jesus expert, so I really need your help, blog readers. I studied Jesus' life and sermons in college so I could better understand what all the fuss is about, but still, it's not really my field. The research I have done on this particular matter suggests that no, Jesus was NOT politically correct. But I suspect that is because the people who are passionate enough about the issue to publish pieces on this topic are upset by the PC trend. It's not that they think Jesus would have hurt feelings. They seem to think that Jesus would be royally pissed by the perceived disrespect, no the heresy of "Happy Holidays" replacing "Mery Christmas". It's like ending a prayer with "in the name of God" instead of "in Jesus'" name. Not okay.

In many respects, it seems that Jesus was a mild mannered person. But if he had been interested in political correctness, he probably would have lived a lot longer.

Anybody out there care to comment?

Oh, and by the way, Shabbat shalom!

1 comment:

  1. anonymous writes:

    I recently gave a minister friend of mine a refrigerator magnet that reads "Jesus would slap the shit out of you."

    JC & the disciples were gay as geese. Where do you think all those Catholic priests got the idea? Running around in dresses & shutting women out of everything.

    That's why we bad Catholic gals skip right over Jesus and go straight to the top (his Mama).

    ReplyDelete