Friday, January 29, 2010

today's gratitude

Today is Tu B'Shvat, the New Year of the Trees. I am so grateful for the beauty of the natural world we live in. I used to go to Central Park to visit with trees. Now, the trees in my beautiful backyard greet me through my bedroom window every morning, and frame the moon with their branches at night. I love the feeling of being in close relationship with them. The front lawn sugar maple, whose trunk inspires my tree pose during morning yoga, also amazes me each fall, when it morphs into a tall blaze of yellow so overwhelming that for a few days you hardly notice our house sitting quietly behind it.

Sam brought home a tree he cut out of green and brown construction paper and decorated with words and gold glitter glue at Sunday school. It's right near me in the kitchen now as I type this. It says:

Others planted trees for us; we plant trees for others.
Branches that reach for the sky.
Giving
Seed
Protective
Plant
Happiness
Fun
Big
Loving
Tall
Life
Strength
Wood
Birds
Branches
Forest
Water

Thanks for the Trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment