Thursday, January 7, 2010

snow day?

I hear was Kroger was jam packed last night and that they sold out of bread.
This is what happens in Cincinnati when the forecast calls for at least an inch of snow, as they had for this morning.

At five AM, the school superintendent called every home in the district to announce a two hour delay to give them a chance to assess the situation. I got out of bed and texted my hairdresser to cancel my 9am appointment.

At seven, she called back to announce she was going to err on the side of caution and close school for the day.

Maybe those were not her exact words. I don't know. I think I had just fallen back asleep after being awakened by her previous phone call.

The kids are confused. They got up and got dressed for school, then found me still in bed. When I told them the news, they looked out the window. No snow. They'd rather be in school.

The boys have been waiting eagerly for snow since the first day of winter, seeing pictures come through Facebook of friends sledding happily in Boston and Chicago. They got new sleds for Hannukah and they can't wait to break them in.

I don't blame them. All week it's been below freezing without more than a couple of flakes. Now it's coming down, lightly, but the grass is still poking through. They are ready to jump on their sleds as soon as I give them the signal. I hope the snow picks up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment