Friday, January 15, 2010

not my ride

I dropped Sam off at basketball practice sometime after dark yesterday evening (about 6:30). We paused in the parking lot to gaze at a very bright object in the sky, which I tried in vain to ID by a quick google search on my Iphone. Then I turned around to rush back home to Isaac, whom I'd left alone playing wii.

I hit the button for remote entry that hangs on on my keychain as I approached the vehicle in the dark. I didn't hear the soft "click" but I tried the door anyway. It opened, so I hopped into the driver seat. I was about to put the key in the ignition when I realized that this was NOT MY VAN.

Maybe it's silly, but I have a habit of locking my door every time I get out of it, unless I am in my own garage. I assumed others do the same. I guess I was wrong.

That was a weird little thrill, somehow, climbing into a stranger's empty van in the dark. Not like I could have hotwired it, or wanted to. But you're not supposed to do that, or be able to, right? Has this ever happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment