Friday, September 3, 2010

tracking the trimming

I tend to forget that this blog started out as a place to keep track of my efforts to simplify my life down to those things I am passionate about. In establishing it, I stated my desire and intention to behave more like a two handed woman, less like I was trying to impersonate a many armed Hindu goddess. How am I doing so far?

Someone at temple just said to me "so, you have a lot going on."

Yes, this has always been true; I won't try to argue. As my Mama, Esther Brochstein, of blessed memory, used to say "Never mind them; that's just how you are."

However...

I have been saying no.

As the holidays approach, (i.e. the Jewish high holidays)I want the record to reflect that I am trimming from the category marked "non-essential", as in not-passionate-enough-to-keep-doing-it-if-I-have-a-choice, and I have been trimming and continue to trim:

I resigned from both the faculty and the board of Kulanu, even as I continue to be passionate about its continued success, and in my eldest son's participation in it. Paul has taken my spot on the board, so I keep my finger on the pulse without going to meetings. Clever? Well, somewhat, but I do miss seeing my friends from there.

I stopped going into the elementary school classroom as often with art projects and lessons to share. I did only those that were meaningful to me. Tiny pangs of guilt. Smaller all the time.

On a related note, I will no longer being offering Art for Boys at my home (or anywhere, for that matter). Art centered playdates for my sons and their friends? Sure! But I am no longer Miss Nancy, their art teacher. And as of today, I have finally cleaned up the wreckage of the Lord of the Flies day back in November '09 and reclaimed the space, just in time to host Rosh Hashanah lunch. It is no longer a teaching studio. I am hanging up my beret.

I am not auditioning for the Kentucky Symphony, at least, not this year. I already have an orchestra that I love (seven hills sinfonietta) and I can make more money, and have a better time, getting gigs for Brava Music, my new chamber ensemble.

I am not teaching fifth grade Hebrew, even though the religious school director is my dearest friend and soul sister. I need those time slots for music. And music time slots I am protecting, guarding, and preserving from encroachment.

I am not buying myself another pair of shoes or any garment for at least six months, beginning last month, the moment after I bought two golf shirts for $5 each at Meadow Links pro shop. Because really, who can resist a sale like that, 2 for $10!? This particular trimming will save time AND money, but quite possibly build up a great longing to visit Nordstrom Rack, Snooty Fox, Off Fifth, or all three. (And I to think I used to be addicted to the 4 B's: Bergdorf, Barney's, Bendel's and Bloomingdale's) I'm going to go ahead right now and carve out a possible exception to this for the week of my birthday because even though, for the first time, Mama is not around to send me a check in my birthday card, that is a very difficult habit to break.

O.K., so, what am I up to?

Most immediately, I am playing liturgical music, with a band, with a flutist, and by myself (as a soloist) and I am planning, shopping for, preparing and serving two holiday meals.

I am advocating for my children at school. Always.

I am meddling very lovingly in the lives of several of my friends. Taking time simply to visit with others.

I am taking ballet, pilates and anusara yoga, and I may try kickboxing very soon.

I am learning the first violin part of the Dvorak 8th symphony, anticipating playing a world premiere by Philip Koplow, and re-learning a little bit of La Boheme, after twenty years.

I'm thinking of taking some adult Jewish education, together with Paul.

I am preparing to do our 2009 taxes.

I am out networking and marketing Brava, and serving as its booking agent for gigs.

I am looking forward to visiting Brown, BU, Columbia, Penn, and NYU with Max. (He's going to Chicago with his father.)

I am looking for recording studios, both for Brava and for Max, and for a web designer who is willing to barter with classical musicians in exchange for creating a site that has music embedded within it.

And, as 5770 comes to a close, I am also walking the dog, feeding the dog, helping the kids get ready for school, supervising cat care, helping with homework, serving breakfast, packing lunches, baking cookies, croissants, making smoothies and sorbets, cooking pasta and on Sundays, challah french toast, shopping for groceries (Trader Joe's, Kroger, Whole Food, Costco), visiting the farmer's market, placing a monthly Melaleuca order, taking kids to dentists and doctors, driving pets to the vet, gently carrying spiders out of doors, removing cobwebs from the places where the walls meet the ceiling, replacing lightbulbs, scheduling haircuts for four people, checking facebook, phoning friends, doing dishes, doing laundry, putting away dishes, putting away laundry, sweeping the floor, picking the kids' towels up off the floor, picking underwear and socks and pajamas up off the floor, picking up toys and books, ping pong balls and free weights, moving piles of paper around, constantly trying to throw out as many of those papers as possible, watering flowers, weeding the garden, replacing dead plants, picking the kids up from school, driving to voice lessons, acting lessons, dance lessons, paying the bills, and also the piano teacher, voice teacher, lawn care guy, neighborhood paper delivery guy, going to the JCC and going to temple.

Like any normal, two-handed woman.

Shanah tovah!

No comments:

Post a Comment