Friday, February 25, 2011

Opening The Throat Chakra

I find there are very few true coincedences in life, but they are all worth paying attention to. When you notice what you think is a coincedence, it is usually the "universe" sending you a message. People often find there is a particular place where they tend to receive these messages most easily and consistently. For some, it can be as simple as sitting on a tufted cushion in their own private meditation room. I have not yet managed to develop a disciplined meditation practice, but I have been fortunate enough to locate several places where I feel really supported in my connection to the divine, to my spirit guides, or to whatever you want to call the Source of inspired thoughts.

I just returned home from my favorite yoga class at one of these special places: Shine, in Hyde Park. As she did last year at the same time, Shine owner and yoga teacher Wendy Anderson is guiding us through the chakras, ninety minutes at a time, week by week. Last week, we focused our practice on the heart chakra, and the class happened to follow right on the heels of two lovely days of mild, sunny weather in the middle of winter, so we were all feeling the love.

Today, our practice was dedicated to opening the throat chakra, which enables us to speak our truth more fully and freely. Wendy reminded us, as we sat in preparation to begin, that we should keep part of our awareness on our root chakra, because we are not working to open our throat chakra merely to talk more freely. We want to open it in such a way as to express truths that are rooted in the core of our being. I was very amused by her articulating this connection, which I did not recall her doing last year, but not because what she was saying was inherently funny. I was smiling as I listened to Wendy make this very valid point because only the day before I had found the courage to give voice to the truth specifically about my experiences in the pelvic region, which also happens to be the locus of the root chakra.

To that end, so to speak, I created a new blog yesterday called Vaginologue. In my previous post, below, I wondered whether I should share the story of some particularly female experiences here, or whether they were better kept private. I also considered whethr there might be some other, more appropriate forum for such a conversation. I decided the last choice was best, so I created a separate blog devoted completely to the experience of being a woman. I recognize that I am in my essence a writer, and not a very private one; I am a memoirist more than a journalist. I write for a number of reasons, including to process some of my experiences and to heal from them, as well as to entertain and inform. I also believe in creating a community through writing, and I find blogging to be a wonderful way of reaching out, sharing stories as a means of connecting with other people. Some people believe memoir to be an immature, self indulgent, or narcissistic form of writing. I disagree, believing it to be in some ways the most courageous and valuable writing a person can provide for their readers. My first day of feedback on Vaginologue indicates that many of you agree with me.

So, as was also true last year at this time, my throat chakra is wide open. My neck is as long as it can be, and my head is held high and in proper alignment with the rest of my spine. I speak my truth fully and freely when people ask my advice or opinion. I tell people when I find what they are doing to be exceptional and praiseworthy. I also speak up when I think something is not right, whether I have been invited to or not. I try always to be respectful, but I am also as genuine and honest as courtesy allows.

All sorts of readers are welcome to read either or both of my blogs. I will continue to post to Unburied Treasure about my general adventures and random reflections. I reserve Vaginologue as a space in which I share my own story of being female, and invite readers in turn to share as much as they are comfortable doing, because I believe that each of us sharing our story can do a great deal of good. By exchanging stories of our unique personal experiences, in community, we can discover a commonality we never knew existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment