Sunday, February 13, 2011

Animation can now help us learn Torah

I was invited to attend Sunday School today with my 8 year old today, Isaac. Isaac's teacher, Ari, is from Wantagh, Long Island, just a couple of stops away from my hometown of Massapequa on the Babylon Line of the LIRR (Long Island Railroad). Anyway, Ari told me about this awesome new site called G-DCAST where you can watch 4 minute long animated lessons about each of the portions of the Torah. They got different rabbis to do different portions. I just watched Lawrence Kushner's take on Bereshit, which was BRILLIANT. I also thought, while I was watching it, that all my yogi friends, but especially those from Shine Yoga Studio, would really appreciate the rabbi's take on the creation story. It is just wonderful, and I must believe, universally appealing. I chose this portion because I just painted a Bar Mitzvah gift today for a boy who chanted part of this story at his Bar Mitzvah last fall. I think it turned out great, and I hope that (1) it survives firing in the kiln and (2) he and his parents will forgive my lateness with the present. My eldest son chanted Bereshit at his own Bar Mitzvah back in 2007. Back then, we visited the Creation Museum to ponder a different way of interpreting the story. I like Rabbi Kushner's SO much better. What do you think of it?

www.G-DCAST.com

No comments:

Post a Comment