Monday, December 27, 2010

just back from vacation

I have missed you, readers! (Especially those of you who write to me after reading my blog posts) I am back in Cincinnati after over a week on the road - staying in Southern Georgia, Port St Lucie Florida, Palm Beach Gardens, Northern Georgia before returning to rather less snow than we had anticipated on Christmas night. It was snowing so hard in Georgia on the way home that we would have stopped for the night, were it not for the fact that my sister and her kids were flying in from NYC that evening for the first time in TWO YEARS.

So, now, we are hosting my sister, Susan and her son, Julian, 8, and daughter Veronique, 4. Visiting is keeping me occupied and away from the keyboard, but I did want to check in and share one of the smoothies I invented in honor of their visit.

When I returned home, the crisper drawer in the fridge was full of slightly wilted veggies. Rather than toss them, I threw parts of them into the Blend Tech, with low expectations. What emerged looked like green sludge, but even Sam, 10, declared it delicious, and it disappeared in a flash:

four radishes
1/3 onion
handful spinach
handful kale
big pinch of parsley
one carrot
1/2 honeycrisp apple
1/2 cup cider
1/2 cup water

By the way, if you want to hide green veggies in smoothies for your kids, I highly recommend disguising them with a handful of blueberries. L'chaim; bottoms up!

No comments:

Post a Comment