Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I Need a Little Sukkos Now

(a Harvest Festival song, to the tune of "We Need a little Christmas")

Haul out the garlands!
Put up the sukkah before I get verklempt!
Unwrap the etrog!
I may be rushing things but Yom Kippur is done now.

For we need a little Sukkos
right this very minute,
gourds hanging from the ceiling,
corn stalks resting in it.
Yes, we need a little Sukkos
right this very minute.
(The dishes from the break fast aren't all done but don't have tsouris)

So, pile up the hay bales!
Hang the brightest string of autumn leaves I've ever seen!
Shake, shake that lulav!
It's time we tied some chili peppers up on these drab walls.

For I'm done with Rosh Hashanah,
done with dressing up for temple.
Done with all my fasting,
done with my repenting.

And I need a little bubbeleh
standing on my shoulders,
hanging mini pumpkins,
tying on dried roses.
Yes, I need a little bubbeleh
stringing beans and berries.
I need a little Sukkos now.

By Jerry Herman
New Lyrics by Nancy Illman c2010

No comments:

Post a Comment