Monday, March 1, 2010

tonight's gratitude (why massage?)

is for the self confidence and inquisitiveness that enable me always to try new things, or at least to consider trying new things with an open mind.

Tomorrow I am going to visit and tour the Ohio School of Medical Massage. To be honest, I have been thinking about going for years now. Every time I get a massage, I interview the masseuse about her life, her training and her career. If you don't already know, I am rather strong. My hands are strong, decorative painting, violin playing, yoga-asana-holding hands. My arms are long, strong, flying trapeze arms. I love helping people feel better; I am a healer by nature. And I'll admit that I am amused by imagining my parents' reaction to the news that their daughter is a licensed massage therapist.

I've been envying Lori her journey as a yoga instructor lately, but somehow I do not think that is one of the stones on my path. At least not now.

Before this, I was considering becoming a rabbi, but slowly I realized that I did not want to belong to that many people. Also, I started paying attention to rabbis' lives in a whole new way, and realized I rather like mine they way it is.

I am considering how much of a professional music career I may still want to pursue at my ripe old age, or whether my current eclectic musical activites are sufficiently satisfying.

I do know I want to do more with my gifts, and I have been feeling like the decorative painting chapter has been trying to let me close it for some time now. I do a great deal of amateur counseling and people frequently joke about paying me for the time we spend over cups of coffee. I have been thinking lately that I want to develop those skills that I already have into a legitimate business of some sort. I'd love to develop a situation where I can offer a person some combination of massage therapy, past life regression meditation and intuitive counseling.

So, this is where I am in my life exploration this week, as I finish painting the sets for my son's High School show, attend a board meeting for the Reform Jewish High school, rehearse with the Seven Hills Sinfonietta for this weekend's concert, and consider whether to adopt a two year old rescued labrador retriever, and cook adventurous new vegetarian recipes for my family.

Namaste, y'all.

3 comments:

  1. YOU GO GIRL! Continue to follow your path with your amazing leadership and love for all including yourself and family. You may lay your hands on me anytime! With love and honor to your inner light and spirit, i am forever yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,

    Found your blog through www.seededbuzz.com

    I'm a student of personal development and as well as a massage therapist, 2 subjects which are the main focus of my blog, so you can see what attracted me over here! Love the idea of the today's gratitude daily gratitude postings, excellent.

    Hope the visit to the medical massage school goes well. My own personal bit of (double) related gratitude is to have found a massage school here in the UK where I'm based which was founded by 2 US trained LMTs, so I got some training in medical massage too which is equivalent to a much higher level of training than the basic qualifying level that we have over this side of the pond by comparison!

    All the best,
    Henry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, I will gladly give you a massage after yoga class! xoxoxo

    and Henry, thanks for posting & welcome to Unburied Treasure! I ended up visiting three masage schools today, and I am currently leaning toward the one that, while newest, offer to teach the greatest range of modalities, including cranio sacral, prenatal, shiatsu and deep tissue, and also fits best around my childrens' schedules. Very exciting stuff.

    ReplyDelete