Sunday, October 31, 2010

Consolation - a poem

My definition of hell is a loved one suffering & nothing I can do.
So much of me is in being helpful. I want to heal, at least, to soothe.

My Hebrew name, Nechama, defined my challenge, sealed my fate.
I learned it meant consolation. A booby prize, I thought. Just great.

Many other girls were given names meaning "pretty" and "dear"
Surely there is more value in offering a sympathetic ear.

What do you want most when it sucks to be you? a lovely new sweater?
No. You want a friend's words to reassure you: it will get better!

Remembering this, I listen, murmuring words of support and love.
Her pain will be endured, I tell myself, and will subside.
Someday, I must believe, we will celebrate, with pride,
all that we've learned, how much we've grown, how far we've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment