Thursday, June 30, 2011

Nancy' ark (Part One)

Yesterday, I dug out of my jewelry box a brooch I seldom wear. It is silvertone and yellow brass, and depicts happy animals crowding the top deck of Noah's ark, presumably during a sunny moment immediately following the 40 days of rainfall. It was given to me by Mary Lee Sirkin, in appreciation for the many hours I spent in the preschool "muscle room", donating a mural for the children there. Yesterday, I needed any good karma that might be stored in this pin. I needed my children to feel as happy and secure as the smiling giraffe and hippo. Essentially, I needed an ark.

While in between car ownerships, just the other day, I received an email asking me (1) to what extent and (2) how I wanted to participate in a local carpool for my sons' upcoming production of Grease.

My answers were:
(1) fully!
and
(2) with deep gratitude, as the new owner of another minivan or its equivalent.

This email brought an extra frisson to what was already proving to be a very disquieting adventure. It added a small measure of desperation to my increasingly urgent search for three rows of fun for under $30,000. Every other mother in this very desirable carpool could take another 3 children in addition to her own. In order to participate fully, in this any any future carpool, I was going to have to find some spacious wheels, and soon.

On our way to camp earlier this month - the first of ten trips I will make to the kids' camp this summer - Max wanted to drive, since he would be unable to access a car for ten weeks. We were nearly there when I thought I hard a race car about to pass us on the highway. I looked up from my iphone, where I had been peacefully reading friends' facebook status updates, but could not detect the source of the revving engine. I looked all around us, but the race car was nowhere to be found. Turns out, that revving engine was ours.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment